2010 Barrie Beehag Ski Race

Racing was on Sunday 13th February 2011 (postponed from the 13th November 2010)

About this event this year

The Barrie Beehag Ski race was set down in the Ski Racing Australia calender for 13th November 2010.

Due to high water and minor flooding in the Murray River at Echuca / Moama, the race was postponed from the 13th November 2010 to the 11th December 2010. This was after some 10 years of the region being in drought.

Again the river was in minor flooding and it was postponed till after the 2011 Club Marine Southern 80.

The 2011 Club Marine was postponed till the 15th – 17th April 2011, again because of the high river and minor flooding of the Murray River.

After discussions with VWSA (Victoria Water Ski Association) & Ski Racing Victoria, it was decided to hold a long distance event at Lake Cooper (40 minutes from Echuca) on the weekend of the Club Marine Southern 80 – February 12th & 13th 2011. This was to allow the event to continue and to utilse the now full Lake Cooper.

Outright Winner

The Barrie Beehag was held at Lake Cooper on Sunday 13th February. Race one (Under 19’s and Under 16’s hit the rough water at approx 8.40am. Part way through the race, boat Out of Control lost their skiers in rough water and whilst turning to get their skiers – their boat was swamped and sunk. The race was red flagged and stopped. All competitors were safe and efforts were made to resuce the boat. Finally with the expertise of Wayne Duggan, the boat was again floating and it was towed back to the boat ramp, with minimal damage to the boat. Thanks to the competitors, officials and spectators which got into the water, to the boat back on the trailer. A big thank you to Wayne Duggan and Brad Altham who worked tirelessly to get the boat onto the trailer.
The course was changed to accommodate the blustery conditions and after some waiting and consultations with competitors at 1pm the racing was abandoned.
Whilst waiting for racing to happen, a steady crowd poured into the Lake Cooper complex and set up their picnic rugs & chairs to enjoy the sunshine and blustery conditions, catch up with fellow ski racers (old and new) and enjoy the views of a lake that was bone dry twelve months ago.
Although there was a sigh of disappointment in the crowd when the new was released that the racing was abandoned,  the call was made in the interests of safety for all competitors.
The event was conducted by the Moama Water Sports Club with the valued assistance of Ski Racing Victoria and the Victorian Water Ski Association.

Results from the one class that competed can be found here – There is no overall winner

Entry Form

Entry form can be downloaded here

Conditions of entry can be downloaded here

Schedule of Events

Saturday 12th February
12.30-1.30pm – Briefing* & Course Orientation – VWSA Club House, for those who are able or wish to attend.
* Attendance is Compulsory at A Briefing prior to being allowed to Race.
2.00pm – 3.30pm – On water Orientation, Course open for Orientation.
Sunday 13th February
7.30am – Briefing for Races 1,2 & 3. (If you didn’t attend Saturday’s Briefing)
Competitor Breathe Testing & Sign in.
8.20am – 10min Hooter for first race to commence at 8.30am.
11.30am – Briefing for Races 4 & 5. (If you didn’t attend Saturday’s Briefing)
Competitor Breathe Testing & Sign in.
Presentations will be held at approx 4.30pm, with Medallions for 1st, 2nd & 3rd in each class presented, along with the Overall Winner.

T – Shirt

Program Cover