Navigation Restriction – Murray River, Moama – Barrie Beehag water ski race
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Murray River, Moama
BARRIE BEEHAG WATER SKI RACE
6:00am to 7:00pm – Saturday 16 November 2019
Vessel operators are advised that a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998 is to be held on the entire width of the Murray River, between the Torrumbarry Weir to a point 500 metres upstream from the junction with Deep Creek, near the township of Moama, from 6:00am to 7:00pm on Saturday 16 November 2019.
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to the Moama Water Sports Club Ltd. to conduct the event and an Exclusion Zone (‘the Zone’) will be established for the entire width of the Murray River, between the Torrumbarry Weir to a point 500 metres upstream from the junction with Deep Creek, near the township of Moama, between the above times.
No unauthorised vessels (i.e. vessels that are not already lawfully moored in the Zone) may enter the zone between the specified times.
The Zone will be marked by buoys, signage, and the presence of official patrol and control vessels.
Pursuant to section 12(3) of the Marine Safety Act 1998, for the duration of the event, special restrictions are imposed on all vessels moored or anchored within the Exclusion Zone whilst it is in force. The special restrictions are as follows:
- Vessels moored or secured to the river bank within the area must remain at their position and MUST NOT be operated during the event.
- All vessels moored or secured to the river bank within the area are required to be moored in a safe location well away from river bends and corners.
- All vessels that are not moored or secured to the riverbank (e.g. merely anchored) are to be moored or secured in accordance with the directions of an authorised officer or event official for the duration of the event.
All vessel operators and persons in the vicinity must comply with the above restrictions, keep a proper lookout, exercise caution and keep well clear of participating vessels, support vessels and persons in the water.
Vessels and persons in the vicinity should exercise extreme caution and be aware of approaching race vessels and exit routes.
In the interests of public safety, occupants of moored vessels are strongly urged to vacate their vessels during the event and if they wish to view the race to do so from shore.
Do not swim along or across the river as it is inherently dangerous and will cause the race to be stopped.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Zone:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Exclusion Zone must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A – Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Exclusion Zone and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s12(5) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 19
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice, please contact the Roads and Maritime Infoline on 131 236 or visit the Maritime page.
MARINE NOTICE SO1953